View Single Post

Old March 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Religious attendance not devotion predicts support for suicide attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
Religion’s social nature, not devotion, predicts support for suicide attacks? Nonsense. The essentials of the study tell us that Islam, not religion per se, predicts support for suicide attacks.
I appreciate your point, Fred. Maybe there is something about Islam that encourages certain expressions of behavior over others. I tend to agree with you that the content of a religion does have some effect on behavior via attitudes, but I don't think it's always an obvious or straightforward effect. People rarely just act according to the dictates of their religion, they generally find some subset and interpretation of the wider religion that suits them. We are probably influenced by the stories and rules of religion, but we also use them to rationalize what we are already motivated to do for some other reason. Don't you think?

I'm not sure your argument justifies calling the data "nonsense," but I think you're right that there's more going on than just religion generically supporting our social nature.