View Single Post

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:24 AM

Default Whether to recommend antidepressants or UNrecommend them

I've seen a lot of people on antidepressants and it has left me very unimpressed with their efficacy. A recent study published indicated that antidepressants may not be near the efficacy they report. I can get the name of the author and journal if need but the point of the article was that the research done seems to have been based on a very narrow criteria, that certain people from the first trial were eliminated "didn't meet criteria" for the second trial. So the efficacy rate is around 30%.

I've also noticed what seems to be tolerance developed, whereby, just like illegal drugs, people need more to get the same effect. Most people gain weight, many people then go on to develop diabetes, and many people experience lethargy, which results in lack of motivation to work on those circumstances that are causing you unhappiness in the first place.

Granted, there are those that need something just to get out of bed, at least in the initial phases of treatment, and there are some people that will always need some sort of medication.

But my point is that it seems that more people are on antidepressants than need to be, and that the side effects, particularly weight gain and lethargy, end up causing people more health problems ultimately doesn't cure the depression. In shorthand, I feel that for some people, antidepressants cause more harm than good.

I would like to promote a service for people who want to fight and recover from depression without the use of medications. What are the ethical and legal ramifications of promoting this?