View Single Post

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Tennis, I mean, Life Coaching Anyone?

Actually, I wouldn't recommend a financial counselor, either. That's not part of a therapist's/counselor's/psychiatrist's role, is usually outside our expertise, and could be associated with liability or conflict of interest (especially if one knows or works with the financial counselor oneself -- for goodness' sake don't refer patients to your spouse unless there's a very good clinical reason!). Referrals to a professional close to one's field (mental health) seem fine, but I'd limit other comments to suggesting that the patient/client look to some objective resource [outside the therapy] for a recommendation.

In a "worst case," suppose you had your retirement with Madoff or Stanford and gave that name to a patient? (And remember, it is generally considered unethical (or at least a boundary issue) to do the opposite; that is, to act on information such as business advice or information received from a patient.)

The patients/clients one is treating are there for one purpose: treatment. Everything else should be scrutinized for countertransference, patient exploitation (even very small exploitations, not necessarily something terrible), and boundary issues (which are not always terrible either).

Last edited by William Reid; June 10th, 2009 at 07:39 AM..