View Single Post

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Forum Leader

Arrow For Todd Stark

Hi Todd (copying Jim Brody)-

I wanted to tell you how much your words about Fred meant to me - he would have been honored to know how you felt (and perhaps he does/did at some level). I just saw your second post about Fred written on Sept. 11, and it made me cry all over again! Todd - I will treasure your words always. They comfort me.

This often exacerbating//frustrating/stubborn/complicated/persistent/determined/funny/intelligent/strong/handsome man that I loved for over 31 years - he was so humble, to the point of self-loathing, about his intellectual capabilities. I was never convinced he was "mediocre," as he often described himself. But I don't think I appreciated just how bright Fred was until after his death, after hearing all the comments from the eulogizers at his funeral (which was amazing and uplifting - the "best funeral I've ever attended" was heard more than once), to people he "sparred" with, like you, Todd. He often spoke of you, and I KNOW he enjoyed the well-fought battles with you. I find you both quite eloquent, and you probably share similar character traits. (Dare I say that Todd? It's meant as a compliment!)

Jim Brody said it best when he dedicated one of his posts to Fred saying; To Fred Hussey: RIP. A warrior for both his God and for the science they shared.

When I bury Fred's ashes, I've decided the grave plate will read: Frederick James Hussey, Jr. Husband, Father, and Warrior for God. Thank you Jim - brilliant! (Want a byline on the grave plate?)

And Jim- Thank you for enriching Fred's life by being his friend and giving him a forum wherein to post his thoughts. I can tell you he often spent hours and hours writing those posts - he was meticulous with his thought processes and wording, punctuation - the whole 9 yards.

You are both invited to post any further thoughts/comments/memories about Fred at www.mem.com. He's got his own perpetual webpage there. I haven't posted anything yet - had other priorities.

Warm regards to you both,

Shelley

P.S. Am including a photo taken a year ago of Fred and me on our 30th anniversary. Don't know if Todd's ever seen a picture of Fred. By the way - people said to me, upon seeing that photo - "Are you wearing your ORIGINAL dress?" To which I replied, "That's not the story here. The story is that THAT'S MY ORIGINAL HUSBAND!" God love him - and he does. Me too. Gotta go - am shedding tears on my keyboard.

Last edited by James Brody; October 16th, 2009 at 12:34 PM..