View Single Post

Old October 16th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Yes, George, go for it! I am myself a lonely wolf in a country heavily dominated by other traditions than by individual psychology. I have studied the old college-level psychology textbooks used in this country from 1940'ies to 1960'ies, and there one finds Adler explained, in a strongly simplified fashion, yes, but you can still find the basic concepts there. Today, the situation has changed, and there is not much to be found about the different psychological traditions. Consequently, Adler is largely unknown in this country. If I start to speak about Adler here, I must first explain what it is all about. No translations are available. To start with, already the concept "individual psychology" produces difficulties. People think that it means that only the individual matters. They are very surprised when I tell them that, as a matter of fact, the social context prevails. If a good, solid english-language text with clear definitions and some figures and formulas would be available, it would be of great help. So, please, let's start it. I think that my situation here cannot be very different from what people are experiencing in a number of other countries today. Your iniative is superb. Few, if any, good ideas in history ever started as mass-actions. In most cases, the innovators were almost always a handful of inspired people with a good idea, with energy, with guts, and with a honest intention to be useful to their fellow-people.