View Single Post

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: emdr:nothing's happening

The capacity of the person to process needs to be greater than the volume and intensity of material to process. if not the EMDR will potentially be overwhelming. it's no fault of the client. it's up to the therapist to know the following:

There are many ways to increase the capacity to process (resourcing, ego strengthening, somatic work, ego state work) and there are many ways to fractionate or titrate (make smaller) the dose of traumatic material to process in EMDR (hypnotic suggestion, ego state tucking in and other negotiations, the use of the early trauma protocol and more).

I don't know your story or whether any of this applies to you but I know this. Every client should be screened for dissociative disorder before doing EMDR and an appropriate modified protocol used if the client is dissociative.

Books available to your therapist include mine (Looking Through the Eyes), Forgash & Copeley, Luber volume 2, and otherss, the O'Shea chapters in Robin Shapiro's Solutions 2, and others.

You might print this off and discuss it with your therapist to ensure all these things have been taken into account.