View Single Post

Old September 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Vegas hypnotist -is this for real?

The hypnosis research was really research into treatment of sleepwalking in adults. It started when I was a psychiatrist in the U.S. Army, during the early 1970s, where soldiers would be discharged if they had a sleepwalking problem. Many wanted to stay in the Army, so we had a motivated group of subjects. The hypnosis treatment, which consisted largely of the suggestion that they would awaken from any sleep immediately when they felt their feet touch the ground, worked well for many. As I recall, I was not the originator of the idea, but heard in (or read it) in something related to the Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis.

A few years later, I compared the hypnotic approach with use of low bedtime doses of a benzodiazepine medication that promotes REM sleep (most sleepwalking occurs in non-REM sleep). As I recall the two approaches worked about equally well (but the people on whom they worked may not have been the same).

My main induction practice, if that's what you wanted to know, was/is progressive relaxation followed by a stairstep-down visualization.

That's probably more than you wanted to know.