View Single Post

Old October 26th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Constructivism and Postmodernism

Note on this discussion about Classical Adlerian Therapy and the Dreikursian interpretation of it.
As far as I understand Adler from his direct German writings he was very direct in pinpointing the issue. So I do not readily believe that he was so very diplomatic and Socratic all the time. He could really show directly the way that parents had to go in their approach.
Reading him I get the feeling that he must have been a warm person with a true interest in his clients. I am sure that Adler would have loved to discuss his views with all his followers, and I am pretty sure that he would have embraced these different views. He was a man of movement. Life is movement. So I am very very sure that he was not a man that had a dogmatic view about how to help and educate his clients. Not only life is movement, but also ideas and interpretations are alive and in motion.
Adler is dead. We do not know how he would have developed if he would have lived longer. But I am sure that his views today would have been different from the views he had short before his death in 1937.
Sometimes I have the idea that there are followers that strongly believe in the "Adler from before 1920" where there are others who only want to embrace the "Adler from the 20'ies till his death".

Paul Miedema