View Single Post

Old October 30th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Associate Moderator

Exclamation Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Please take note:

As I have read back through the initial postings, particularly my own in the thread "From the Ground Up", I am concerned that some folks could feel that an adequate understanding of Adler's theory of personality and of Neurosis can be obtained by reading a series like this. Please be very aware that the theory is exceedingly deep and that I am also learning it. I doubt there are very many who have truly mastered this psychology. People like Henry Stein who have studied with a pair of Adler's colleagues and students, will surely have an in depth understanding. It takes many years of supervision and constant re-reading of Adler's writing to come close to being well informed. If "Adler is to psychology what Einstein is to physics", as far as I can ascertain, there are only 3 or 4 people alive right now who may understand General Relavity. It is unlikely there are a much greater number that truly understand Adler. You must get his writings and study and re-study them. You also need training on an on-going basis with a fully trained Adlerian master ... I am just an apprentice!

Having said all of this, I do not wish to intimidate anyone. What is the saying, "The longest journey begins with a single step". I do hope this simplified introduction will encourage all who read to undertake the wonderful journey of trying to learn as much as one can of Adler's insights for the benefit of the lives that you may touch.

Last edited by George Neeson; October 30th, 2004 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: spelling and clarity