View Single Post

Old November 1st, 2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

I have great difficulty to bring together some 'sensical' (is that a word??) sentences in order to say what comes to mind when I read all your posts. (That's part of the dreaded avalanche I warned you about, George)
Do I understand correctly, that in order to get started on this primer 'From the ground up’ you pretty much think that the Inferiority concept is ‘the Ground’ from which to build?

I love all the comments throughout from everyone and seem to be nodding along the way…..

Looking at why someone feels inferior (or inadequate) - isn’t the attitude of the society one lives in the thing that one deals with? Even when it is said, that this is part of the human condition – is it?
What of cultures that have a more integrated live philosophy – (gosh there must be some on this vast planet) and the passages and stages in a persons life are celebrated not dreaded and made problematic?

Adler’s world was a Western world. His concepts are sort of milestones for understanding human behavior.
His philosophy of the value and uniqueness of each person can become ‘a saving message’ when, I feel, the milestones are viewed as points of progression.
For both child and adult, progression becomes a thrilling life experience, when the fictitious goal is part and parcel in the daily striving.

I think what I want to say is, that maybe form ‘the ground up’ is actually from the ‘inside out’. Then we get a circle with a periphery. And the arrows that you suggested (north east and west…)are spreading out randomly in all directions from the centre point towards the periphery, which, of course expands the closer you seem to get to it.
Then the concepts of inferiority, compensation, community feeling, creative power, overcoming difficulties etc…. appearing in some orderly fashion, are truly regarded ‘as blessings’ and where the ‘art of encouragement’ is practiced throughout as ‘a style of life’.

Do you think Mr Adler would mind if we assume another more expanded universal viewpoint and put his “Meta Therapie” in the PRE - rather than the POST Therapeutic dialogue.

But maybe I’m dreaming, remember, I’m definitely coming from ‘the ground’ wanting to grow up.
Thanks for considering a mind that is ‘blowing in the wind’
Rita

ps; I came across a quote from Goethe today:

All intelligent thoughts have already been thought; what is now necessary is to think them again.