View Single Post

Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:02 AM

Default Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

"Sounds good to say that Steve, but it begs the question of how the goal got formed and who formed it. I don't see how a set of logical propositions can show the genesis of this complex theory. I believe any attempt at straight line linear logic will miss the point of the unique creativity of each individual and how they use that to create a unique goal for themselves from a unique feeling of lessness that this person has created. If there is a better way to start unfolding this complex notion where the ground in fact is the creative endeavour of the child, I am open to any good suggestions. It seems extremely hard to try to distill the notions down without losing the depth and leading the reader to a possibly oversimplified and smug feeling that they get this. Any more leading suggestions would be appreciated."

I don't know how you have understood what I said, George. I didn't make any claim at all about anything, let alone "how the goal got formed and who formed it." My so-called "Proposition 1" was just a possible example of something to begin with so we could get our teeth into it and try to figgure out what it means. We could start anywhere with anything. Even the Ansbachers have 12 propositions at the beginning of The Individual Psychology....