View Single Post

Old November 5th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Movement:
Now let us try to look at movement. I have been talking about the vector quality of the lifestyle and a vector is defined by a direction and a degree, force or strength. Listen to Henry or the tapes of Sophia and they are always saying "Watch the movement". This is a really hard thing to get your mind around but it becomes easier as you now have the coordinates of the movement. When I flew the aircraft I went from Toronto to Buffalo. When you go shopping you go from your home to the store. The lifestyle also moves from - to. It move from the inferiority feeling to the fictional goal of superiority. Everything the patient does or says points away from the dread darkness of the night that they have created, toward the lofty mountain top bathed in golden light, that they seek. This movement is reflected in everything they do and say, from the way they are dressed, to the way they speak, to the way they walk, to the way they approach the therapist. It is not an act but it is part of a great "as if" play they perform. They act as if they are the greatest sinner on earth. They dress as if they are rich and famous. They approach you with a surly attitude as if you must always look up to them or they may be like a little mouse that if touched will be crushed and destroyed by your careless brutality to ensure they enslave you also in their fiction as Adler discovered the notion of fiction from Vaihinger. They do not know they are playing this noble or demeaning role but they do not feel as an equal human being so they must either be utterly in command or they must plead like a helpless slave. They create all the broad reaches of this drama, and we must discern its true meaning. So we observe every subtle nuance of what they say or do not say. Of how they look at us or do not look and every subtle movement points directly to their story and underlines their "guiding fiction".
Much more needs to be said about the movement but a little at a time is easier to digest. Ask some questions about anything in this post that you do not understand. I do not feel I can answer all the questions you may have, but I am confident that Henry will be graciously "lurking" in the background and is more than willing to come to our assistance. Please this is a very difficult but key concept in understanding a persons unique law of movement.

Last edited by George Neeson; November 5th, 2004 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: more spelling sigh