View Single Post

Old November 18th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Discussion of CCWAA, Volume 3, to Begin Nov. 22nd

I felt that it might be useful to prepare short summaries of the chapters I & II. In Chapter I, Psychological Hermaphroditism in Life and in the Neurosis (1910), Adler argues that there are male traits in women and female traits in men. Some of the arguments in the chapter are outdated and reflect attitudes that belong to a Victorian world. An intelligent reader is able to discern between arguments that are important even today, and arguments that are outdated. According to Adler, the child plays a dual role: on the other hand he or she expresses feminine, on the other hand masculine tendencies. Adler argues that the masculine protest develops as over-compensation because the "female" tendency is regarded as a childhood disorder. Adler lists some traits that may contribute to reinforcing female traits and secondarily reinforce masculine protest. Adler concludes that it is the task of the educators and the psychotherapists to uncover this dynamics and to raise it to consciousness.
Chapter II, Defiance and and Obedience (1910) discussses the complicated dynamics of early influences in the development of the mind of the child. According to Adler, the greatest influences come from family life. In a family, the child must restrain his/her drive expansion which conflicts with the child's tendency for seeking pleasure. Adler says that the child should learn to adjust to social activities and shed his playful desires for uninhibited organ activity. Adler discusses the birth of the inferiority complex and concludes that we are steering towards a time when everyone will be independent and free, no longer in the service of one person, but taking his/her rightful place in serving only one common idea, the promotion of physical and mental progress.
One should remember that no summary can do justice to the complicated argumentation presented by Adler in his papers, so this is only the barest outline. One should read the original chapters in CCWAA, Vol. 3.

Last edited by Manu Jaaskelainen; November 19th, 2004 at 05:29 PM..